Sunday, November 11, 2007

Where's the trail?



Jeff and I have been talking about going hiking all the time. You know, the real get-a-workout-start-to sweat hike. With the Texas weather being so nice right now, we woke up early on Saturday morning and were on our way. We found a wilderness park that had this sign that read "This is one of the very few parks left in the US that is all natural and wild" (Okay, so I don't remember exactly what it said, but something about nature and rare.) Jeff and I give each other a funny look as we take off on the cemented trail. It takes us around a few trees and bushes and back to where we started. Okay, so we're thinking we had missed the opening for the real, exotic wilderness trail. We go around again. "Don't feed the animals" one sign states in red bold letters. What animals? The stink bug I almost stepped on two feet ago? We once again end up by our car. Should I grab a water bottle or a snack this time because, wow, that hike was so hard I might need substance. There just happens to be a Parks and Rec guy and I try to yell to him our question as the cars speed by on the freeway, which is so close that the previous "wild" stink bug is probably squished on it by now. "Where's the trail?" "You found it". He points out that if we walk along the freeway for a while we can find another trail-not the one talked about on the previous signs-where there are trees and rocks and the kind of stuff we are apparently looking for. We finally find the mysterious trail and I think as we are walking along that this could be a great hike. I have to retract that thought because up ahead doing the same hike I spot a five year old and his mother chatting away on her cell phone. So, the hike literally lasts for 10 minutes and we get back to walking along the noisy freeway, to find our gas guzzling car, parked on black asphault by the cement sidewalk, which takes you around the "rare nature trail". Anyone want to go on a hike...I know of a great place.

9 comments:

momalamode said...

Hey Becky,
Your blog is getting to be quite the site. I love traveling to it everyday. And I love, love, love your story about your little "hike". I was laughing so hard. You tell it really well and I am glad that you didn't put the shortened version, I preferred the whole story. I can't wait to see you like next week or something. Yea!!!! Brody is soooooo dang cute!!!! His laugh is contagious!!
Love, Your big sis CJ

Kristen said...

Hi! I'm so glad you found our blog...yours is so cute. I can't believe how big Brody is! He is such a cute little boy. My mom told me ya'll will be gone when we're in town next week; that's too bad, we would have loved to see ya'll. But I hope ya'll have a fun trip to Arizona!

Ricky and Kristi Rogers said...

WAY CUTE!

Leslie said...

Come visit us in Utah and we'll go hiking. :) Your family is adorable!

Unknown said...

I was laughing soo hard when I read this post. Too funny. When you come back to Arizona we will show you some real trails to take your boys on :) I hear that you are coming home for Thanksgiving. When do you get here and when do you take off? I would love to at least get together once while you are here

Debbie said...

I'm so glad to see your blog!! It is so fun to see Brody...he is so adorable! Wish you guys lived close so he and Logan could be friends:)Well, can't wait to see ya Sunday!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

LOVE Brody! He is so cute. And way cute blog! Looks like the hike was fun!

Carlie said...

I'm not sure if you are going to be checking your blog while you are on vacae. But Sorry bout the other day. I really want and wanted to go get some icecream with you, but Conner was not feeling so well, I have him on some antibiotics and he is doing much better now. So I am up for wednesday morning-early afternoonish or later in the afternoon or on friday if you guys are still going to be in town. You could even just drop by my house, or call me first and I'll let you know if I will be home or not. Hope we can get together before you leave.
Carlie

Carlie said...

hey becky- you never called me back. Conner was so much better by wednesday and I was awaiting a phone call from ya so we could get together for a bit. Oh well. Christmas is only a month away. You are coming for christmas, right?